Monday, September 1, 2008

filling me up

On this the day where we rest from our labors (which happens to be my normal day off), I'm struck by how much I fill my life with the little things that take up a lot of time but are not worth it. Earlier this year we were in the middle of the writers' strike and were left with lots of reruns, I found that I didn't miss the television shows as much as I thought I would. A few weeks ago, I had the chance again to look at what was building me up, and what wasn't, especially in the media that I watch/use. I thought that if I stopped watching or doing these things that I wouldn't know what to do with all of the time that I had, idealistic I know... But, as I began to enact in my life the idea that, if something isn't building me up, than I shouldn't be doing it, I found myself getting rid of a few things, finishing projects that had been put off for some time, returning to some of my favorite hobbies, and ended up having created or done something instead of being a vegetable of some sort. In all of it, I'm starting to see that I like the fact that I'm spending more time in prayer, playing my guitar, running, making pillows, or even making sure my house is clean (granted, right now there is a massive pile of dishes in my kitchen, so obviously I'm not perfect yet). I'm not saying that television is bad, though my mother still maintains that it's evil (or at least that's what I would imagine her to say when asked). There can be great value to the media, heck I even spent a great deal of time in college just on that one point. I guess what I'm trying to say, while I'm drinking an impossibly good glass of wine and listening to Audrey Assad, is that over the past couple of weeks I've begun the journey of filling my life with things that fill me up so that my cup overflows. At the end of the day, it's been a little easier to return to the feet of Christ and share my day with Him.

No comments: