Monday, March 22, 2010

Speaking the truth

Mondays are usually the day I crash, sometimes it's not very pretty. These days usually involve me becoming some sort of vegetation that exists on chocolate and the BBC. Today was not one of those days and I'm still trying to figure out how I feel about it. Though I got some much needed rest, I ended up waking up at the time an appointment was supposed to start. Needless to say, I was a little discombobulated for the rest of the day. Lunch did include Pho, so the day was not a total wash. Really though it came down to an important work meeting that was this evening. Normally I wouldn't have darkened the door of the place that I work on my day off, but as I was reading the notes that the attendees were supposed to read beforehand, I knew that my heart and something deeper was urging me to get off my butt and go. I still need to learn not to resent going into work when it need to, but that's another post...
What strikes me tonight as I reflect back is that there is a difference in how a difficult truth is delivered. I couldn't not ask these questions and not speak up, but the reason was that I could not let my fellow brothers and sisters in Christ not hear the truth. The motivation doesn't come from anger or hurt in this case, but a sense of not wanting a particular group or person to remain in the place that they are. Rather, it's about calling them on too a greater truth, one that would help them grow even more into who they are. The hardest part though is that it costs. Tonight, all I wanted to do was remain on my couch and finally get to my hulu queue. It cost to get up and go, to wait to eat dinner, to stand up and say what was on my heart. Was I given instant gratification? Did everything resolve itself with a quick resolution? Nope. But there is a peace in knowing that in my call to be a prophet, I have tried to say what God has placed in my heart. The truth quite often is hard to speak and even more frequently costs us deeply to say. When it's done in love though, we can't go wrong.

No comments: